I love missionaries.
I love reading missionary biographies.
And I love preaching missionary sermons.
By combining expository preaching with the story of a missionary, we are able to give a tangible, God-glorifying picture of what it means to believe and live out the teachings of Scripture.
Below are all of the sermons, in alphabetical order, that I have preached using missionaries to illustrate Scripture:
- Adoniram Judson: Marked for Death! Messengers of Life! Paul’s Powerful Promises Applied Particularly to Those Who Long for the Salvation of the Lost with Insights from the Life and Ministry of Adoniram Judson and the Three Mrs. Judsons – Romans 8:28-39
- Ann Hasseltine Judson: “The Lord Is My Refuge” Plainly Put On Display in the Life of Missionary Ann Hasseltine Judson — Psalm 142.1–7.
- Bertha Smith: Galatians 2:20 & Bertha Smith, A Soul-Winning Missionary – Galatians 2:20
- Darlene Diebler Rose: The Lord Is My Light and My Salvation: Darlene Diebler Rose (Fall 2016 Convocation) — Psalm 27
- David Brainerd: The Pattern Of Paul’s Missionary Life Revealed In The Ministry of David Brainerd For The Furtherance of The Gospel Among The Nations (Fall 2008 – Convocation Message) – 2 Timothy 1:8-12
- Eleanor Chestnut: How The World Will Know We Belong To Jesus Beautifully Exemplified…Eleanor Chestnut – John 13:34–35
- Eric Liddell: God’s Chariot of Fire: The Life of Missionary Eric Liddell and the Race He Ran – Hebrews 12:1-3
- George Leile: The Cross And Faithful Ministry As Seen In The Pastoral And Missionary Ministry Of George Leile – Galatians 6:11-18
- Harriet Newell: Precious in the Sight of the Lord is the Death of His Saints: Harriet Newell – Psalm116
- James Fraser: The Vision of the Exalted Lamb Realized In The Life of Missionary James Fraser Among The Lisu People of China – Revelation 5:8-10
- Jim Eliot: Let All The Nations Give God Glory! A Passion on Display in the Life and Martyrdom of Missionary Jim Elliot (20/20 Conference 2008) – Psalm 96
- John and Betty Stam: The Missionary Psalm: Beautifully Obeyed In The Life and Martyrdom of John And Betty Stam – Psalm 67
- John Gibson Patton: The Little Missions Psalm Gloriously Displayed In The Life of John Gibson Paton: Missionary to Cannibals – Psalm 117
- Lottie Moon: The Power of a Consecrated Life Lived Out in the Ministry of Lottie Moon – Romans 12:1
- Sarah Hall Boardman Judson: God Knows What He is Doing Beautifully Exemplified in the life of Sarah Hall Boardman Judson — Psalm 138:1-8
- William Carey: The Great Commission According To Matthew’s Gospel Accompanied by Insights From The Life and Writings Of William Carey With the Goal of A Passionate Global Vision For Our Seminary (Convocation Message – Fall 2007) – Matthew 28:16-20
- William Wallace: Jesus Is Everything To Me! The Glorious Truth of Philippians 1:21 Lived Out In The Life and Death of William Wallace – Philippians 1:21
What missionary have you enjoyed learning from the most?